Welcome to the Chair for Computational Analysis of Technical Systems
Lehrstuhl für computergestützte Analyse technischer Systeme
- A new SIAM Student Chapter has been established at RWTH Aachen University. The purpose of the chapter is to generate interest in applied mathematics and computational science by providing students opportunities to:
- Share ideas and improve communication across different research groups
- Explore career opportunities in academia and industry
- Organize seminars on applied mathematics with representatives from industry
- From July 20-24, 2015 the RWTH Aachen University, Germany, became the site of the 3rd ECCOMAS Young Investigators Conference. Nearly 300 participants followed the invitation of conference chairpersons Dr. Stefanie Elgeti and Dr. Jaan-Willem Simon to a full week of compelling talks, interesting discussions, and a necessary dose of diversion.
The ECCOMAS Young Investigators Conferences (ECCOMAS YIC) have only recently been introduced into the ECCOMAS conference family; the underlying concept directed particularly at young scientists. Based on the shared idea of addressing the future generation of researchers, this year’s YIC was connected to the colloquium of the German Association on Computational Mechanics (GACM): the 6th GACM colloquium. As a contrasting complement, the conference was furthermore held in conjunction with the 3rd Aachen Conference on Computational Engineering Science (AC.CES), organized by the graduate school AICES and traditionally focusing on invited speakers with international prestige. In total, this formed the YIC GACM AC.CES 2015.
- Markus Frings and Roland Siegbert received the "Young Researcher Award 2014" of the Cluster of Excellence "Integrative Production Technology for High-Wage Countries" for their topic "numerical die design in plastics profile extrusion high-pressure die casting". Congratulations!
- Our former colleague, Dr. Georg Wellmer, received the Airbus Dissertation Award 2014 for his PhD thesis "A Modular Method for the Direct Coupled Aeroplastic Simulation of Free-Flying Aircraft" supervised by Professor Behr and Professor Ballmann. The Airbus Operations GmbH awards this prize to support and promote young scientists. Congratulations!
- Our former colleague, Dr. Henning Sauerland, received the award of the European Community on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences (ECCOMAS) for the best Ph.D. theses in 2013. He was part of our XFEM group. His thesis with the title "An XFEM based sharp interface approach for two-phase and free-surface flows" was recognized by the committee as "providing strong improvements on the standard XFEM method [...] with emphasis on challenging engineering applications" (www.eccomas.org). Congratulations!
- We're contributing to the organization of conferences and minisymposia:
- 3rd ECCOMAS Young Investigator Conference and 6th GACM Colloquium on Computational Mechanics in July 2015 in Aachen.
- 7th ECCOMAS Congress in June 2016 in Crete, Minisymposia 410 on Complex Fluid Flows in Engineering: Modelling, Simulation and Optimization and 106 on Direct and Inverse Methods for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Biomechanics.
- 12th World Congress on Computational Mechanics in July 2016 in Seoul, Minisymposia 123 on Recent Advances in Modeling and Simulation of Non-Newtonian Fluids and 59 on Direct and Inverse Methods for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Biomechanics.
- Current teaching in Winter Semester 2015/16:
- Recent teaching in Summer Semester 2015:
- Current jobs: