CES Mechanics I
A custom sequence of Mechanics courses has become a part of CES curriculum starting in 2005. The CES Mechanics I and II are taught by CATS, and CES Mechanics III, i.e., Deformable Body Mechanics, is taught by Lehr- und Forschungsgebiet Kontinuumsmechanik (Prof. Itskov).
Information concerning the repeat exam is shown further down this page.
The lecture hours on Dec. 10 will be used for an additional exercise, and the exercise on Dec. 13 will be replaced by a lecture.
Technische Mechanik 1 chapters in PDF form are available via SpringerLink; see the syllabus for access hints. The collection includes also other books in the series, including Aufgaben zu Technische Mechanik 1-3.
Here are the PDF slides (15 MB) from Mechanics part of Simulationstechnik I.
The slide examples linked from individual lecture pages are only available from the RWTH network, e.g., eduroam. If you still have a problem accessing the files (most likely because reverse DNS is not identifying your computer properly), please contact Christoph Stolz.
- 2013.01.21 Lecture 13 (wedges, rolling resistance, threaded screws, cable friction)
- 2013.01.14 Lecture 12 (dry friction, sliding, tipping)
- 2013.01.07 Lecture 11 (Q and M diagrams, Föppl symbols, frames)
- 2012.12.13 Lecture 10 (internal forces in beams, Q and M diagrams)
- 2012.12.03 Lecture 9 (3D systems)
- 2012.11.26 Lecture 8 continued
- 2012.11.19 Lecture 8 (trusses, method of joints, method of sections)
- 2012.11.15 Lecture 7 (equilibrium analysis, multi-body equilibrium)
- 2012.11.12 Lecture 6 (equilibrium, FBDs)
- 2012.11.12 Lecture 5 (distributed loads)
- 2012.10.25 Lecture 4 (resultants)
- 2012.10.22 Lecture 3 (couples, transferring forces)
- 2012.10.15 Lecture 2 (forces, moments)
- 2012.10.08 Lecture 1 (introduction, review)
Links to exercises will be posted at the following subpage:
- Lexikon Angwandte Mechanik from University of Bath
- Physics 101 software
- Self-scoring mechanics tests from Loughborough University
(unfortunately, self-scoring part does not work anymore)
- Informal write-ups in mechanics from Utah
- Another textbook with online multiple choice tests
(select Statics book, then a chapter, then Multiple Choice menu)
- Engineering statics course notes at University of Nebraska
- Engineering dynamics course at Penn State
Repeat Exam WS 2012/13
The schedule is:
- March 1, 2013 exam 09:00–12:30 in room 1010|101 (Hörsaal I)
- This is a repeat exam and is not meant for 1st semester students.
- On Thursday, February 21st, there will be a question hour in room E1, starting at 10:00.
- English and German formula (Formeln) sheets will be given out during the exam.
- Also provided will be the mass moments of inertia sheet (Massenträgheitsmomente).
- 2013.03.12 Posting of exam solutions and results.
- 2013.03.14 Inspection (Einsicht) 10:00–11:00 in Schinkelstr. 2, first floor, room 115.